- Consult your physician.
- Fill out the Emergency Information and Medical History form on the reverse of your bib number.
- Listen to the weather forecast. Know the risks and plan accordingly when running during hot or cold conditions. Both heat-related injuries and hyponatremia are life-threatening conditions. Adjust your race and hydration plan accordingly.
- Develop and implement your individual plan for hydration. Be prepared to adjust your plan given the weather conditions and how you are feeling during the race.
- If you experience or feel you are about to experience a medical problem, ask for help immediately. It is foolish and dangerous to abuse your body.
- Help your fellow participants.
Meet our Medical Director: Benjamin Bring, DO
Benjamin Bring, DO is a board-certified physician in both family and sports medicine and currently serves as Assistant Program Director and Osteopathic Track Program Director at Dublin Methodist Family Medicine Residency in Dublin, Ohio.
“As a former high school and college athlete, I learned quickly that regular exercise (especially running) is one of the best things you can do for your overall health and wellness. As a family and sports medicine physician, I teach the benefits of running and exercise to my patients and help them get back into running should an injury occur. The OhioHealth Emerald City Half & Quarter Marathon is a great way to get our community involved in a fun running event and teach about the importance of regular exercise. I am thrilled to see how popular running has become in athletes of all ages as it is a great lifelong form of exercise. As a former competitive track athlete and now as a recreational runner I am honored to serve as the Medical Director of the OhioHealth Emerald City Half & Quarter Marathon!”
- Treating athletes of all ages — especially runners!
- Practicing preventative medicine through exercise, strength training, and nutrition
- Osteopathic Manipulation
- Musculoskeletal ultrasound
- Teaching medical students, residents, and sports medicine fellows
Sports Medicine Involvement:
- Medical Director OhioHealth Capital City Half & Quarter Marathon
- Head Team Physician at Central Crossing High School
- Arnold Classic Assistant Medical Director
- OhioHealth Sports Medicine Institute Member
Mass Event Coverage Experience:
- 2015 ITU World Triathlon Grand Final in Chicago
- IRONMAN 70.3 Ohio
- Nationwide Children’s Hospital Columbus Marathon
- OhioHealth Capital City Half & Quarter Marathon
- Warmup for Boston Marathon
- USA Junior Triathlon National Championships
- 2014 Division III Track and Field National Championships
Fellowship: Riverside Methodist Hospital Sports Medicine Fellowship
Residency: Riverside Methodist Hospital Family Medicine Residency
Medical School: Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine
Undergraduate: Denison University
High School: Columbus Academy